November 19, 2013

Switching Off

Last night power went out in my neighbourhood. It was expected the problem wouldn’t be fixed for over two hours. While I was keen to make some dinner, everything I needed to use required electricity, so I had to wait.

Instead, I pulled out my yoga mat, lit a few candles and enjoyed an hour of relaxed yoga and meditation. While doing yoga I enjoyed the quiet. The television was off, I had no music on and I could hear the sound of the rain falling outside. I had put my mobile away to conserve the battery, leaving me alone with myself in the present moment. 

This forced ‘shut down’ was just what I needed. The last few weeks have been busy and stressful, so I found switching off from the world calming and restorative. Coming back to the basic Earth elements of fire through the candle’s flames, and connecting with my body and mind, I couldn’t have been more grateful for the power cut.

When power did come back on the lights shone and the TV seemed to blare. It made me realise how much stimulus we surround ourselves with all the time. It is exhausting, even when we don’t realise it. 

It made me realise that I need to factor in more quiet time in my day and my weeks. The body and the mind needs time out from all the pressures, noise and information that makes up a usual day living in a major city. I hope you too can find some silence in your week to relax and give yourself a break.  

Jessica Stead xxx

candle 2

No comments:

Post a Comment